University of California, Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts: May 2000
Major: Political Economy of Industrial Societies
Cumulative GPA: 3.3
St. Mary’s College, Moraga, CA
Single Subject Foundational Math w/CLAD
Multiple Subject Credential w/ CLAD
Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Canyon Middle School, Castro Valley, CA, Geometry, Algebra I, and Pre-Algebra Teacher
- Led Geometry students to 100% proficiency in CST’s; Algebra I students to 92% in CST’s
- Had highest homework completion percentage and lowest number of D’s and F’s in Math Department
- Received extremely favorable formal and informal performance reviews from administrators and colleagues
Redwood Christian Schools, San Lorenzo, CA, 7th Grade Pre-Algebra Teacher
- Led students to highest cumulative end-of-year standardized math test scores in twenty years
- Developed critical thinking and mathematical aptitude of 7th graders using Saxon Math 87 curriculum
- Facilitated positive, enthusiastic learning environment using varied large and small group instructional methods
Thornton Junior High, Fremont, CA, Algebra Teacher
- Led students to 65% proficiency in Algebra CST’s; Department average was 42%
- Engaged, motivated, and challenged 155+ students of varying abilities (GATE, EL, IEP) through implementation of competitive math games, songs, critical thinking activities, dynamic lecture, and structured note-taking
- Greatest strengths: Student engagement, classroom management, humor, organization, work ethic, and helping perennial strugglers in math to increase their self-confidence and aptitude.
Adams Middle School, Richmond, CA, Math Tutor – All Levels
- Improved academic aptitude, self-confidence, and achievement of struggling, “at-risk” 6th – 8th graders through individual, small group, and in-class tutoring for Math and History
SCORE! Educational Centers, Antioch, CA, Assistant Director
- Supervised Advantage Program area for 300+ members, increasing student success and confidence
- Conducted daily Parent Conferences by updating parents on child’s progress and setting goals for their child
As featured in WikiHow:
Born and raised in Hawaii, I am chill, love to laugh, and have fun. Math is not the end-all-be-all for me; I view it only as a vehicle to teach students about life: that with clear instruction, passion, perseverance, and repetition, complex things can be made easier.
I love sports. I’m a huge Warriors, Raiders, and Athletics fan.
I LOVE hiking, the ocean, and the outdoors. Here are some of my favorite pictures I/my friends have taken of me:
Check out my other pictures here: https://www.instagram.com/cvmathguy/
I love food and trying new things! In fact, I was on Season 13, Episode 4 of Check, Please! Bay Area and was quoted in this piece on SF Gate.
Check out the episode here:
11,031 total views, 2 views today